Drunken cop beats up man, two-year-old boy


Munaf Sheikh and his son Farhan were thrashed by head constable Rambhai Meena who was in an inebriated state; a case has been registered against him

Munaf and Irfan were passing by Ellisbridge police station when Meena attacked them
In yet another case involving a drunken cop, a head constable of Ellisbridge police station allegedly beat up a bike rider and his two-year-old, late on Wednesday evening. 

Though a case has been registered against the cop, for violation of prohibition act and assault, departmental action is yet to be taken against him.

‘You don’t know me!’
Incident happened at around 9 pm on Wednesday when Munaf Sheikh (29), a resident of Gol limda, while passing through near the Ellisbridge police station on his bike, was stopped by head constable Rambhai Meena, who was in his civvies. 

“I had taken my son along to give him a joy-ride and was taking a turn from near the police station, when this man stopped me. He was in plain clothes and smellt of liquor. He started threatening me, saying, ‘You don’t know me. I am the police commissioner.’ When I tried to call up my brother, who is an advocate, he further got furious and started beating me up,” alleged Sheikh.

Sheikh also alleged that in drunken stupor, the cop also assaulted his son Farhan, who got bruises and started crying. Some other police personnel also witnessed the incident but none of them intervened and came to his rescue, he alleged.  Sheikh later filed a complaint against Meena in the police station. Meena was later taken to the hospital where medical examination confirmed that he had consumed liquor.

Probe on
When contacted, Inspector J B Purohit of Ellisbridge police station admitted that a case has been registered against the head constable and the matter was being probed.

He has been released on bail and action would be taken on the basis of findings of investigation, he said.