little Pari, Shahida meet for DNA test

Mumbai resident who claims to be the abandoned baby’s mother submitted her ration card, her child’s birth certificate and photographs to RPF cops. She, however, did not have a photo ID proof. DNA test results expected in four-five days

The ordeal is not over yet for little Pari who was found abandoned in a train on Wednesday. Saiyed Kaneez Zaira alias Shahida, the Mumbai woman who claimed the baby is her daughter Rukaiya, reached Ahmedabad on Saturday morning. She carried with her some documents to support her claim. 
STOLEN MOMENTS: Shahida (in burqa) feeds Pari icecream as her friend Raees Fatima tries to quiet the little one outside FSL
However, she did not have a photo identity proof. Desperate to get her baby back, it was Shahida who told cops she was willing to take a DNA test. Around 2.40 pm, blood samples of Shahida and Pari were collected at Civil Hospital and sent to FSL Gandhinagar for DNA profiling. The report is expected in four-five days.

Shahida, who arrived in the city in a Volvo bus, got down near V S Hospital around 7.45 am. She was accompanied by social worker Hasan Master and his niece Raees Fatima. The trio went to an acquaintance’s house first and then around 9.45 am reached Mahipatram Rupram Ashram where Pari is being taken care of.

On Friday, Shahida had told mediapersons that her estranged husband Mohammed Yasin had abducted their three-month-old daughter on March 1 and was missing since.

The orphanage authorities verified the photographs, ration card and baby’s birth certificate, Shahida had got along with her. 

She requested them to show her the baby. But the staff refused to entertain her plea. A teary-eyed Shahida began pleading and fainted in the office of the ashram. Then, on humanitarian grounds, the staff decided to allow her to meet the baby for two minutes.

Shahida was taken to the baby’s room on the first floor. On seeing Pari, she began crying inconsolably. She lifted the baby and kissed her before putting her back in her crib. 

Constables of Railway Protection Force (RPF), who were present in the orphanage, later brought her to their Kalupur office. 

For three hours, RPF DySP H K Chauhan and Inspector P P Pizoria questioned Shahida who told them she had been staying with her father, three brothers and sister for two years. Her mother had passed away when she was young.
Pari had a field day on Saturday as she was taken to Civil Hospital and then to Gandhinagar FSL; (Right) A depressed Shahida holds her friend tight as they leave RPF office


Shahida, who has studied till class 10, got married to Yasin in 2008. She told the cops that two years after their marriage, Yasin’s parents disowned him. So, they moved to a rented house.

However, since he used to beat her up often, she suffered a miscarriage. Fed up with his drinking habits and abusive nature, she decided to move to her father’s house in Govandi. 

The couple patched up later, but he did not change his ways. Yasin, who was employed as a driver, used to come and stay with her for a couple of days every month. She told cops that Yasin suspected her character and hated the fact that their first baby was a girl.


Shahida and Pari were taken to Civil Hospital for collection of blood samples. Later the cops took them to forensic lab in Gandhinagar to complete certain formalities.

Civil Hospital’s medical superintendent M M Prabhakar said, “Our chief medical officer collected the blood samples of the woman and the baby. These were then sent to FSL after necessary procedures.”
“We have verified her documents, but she does not have a photo identity proof. However, it was she who suggested we conduct a DNA test ,” said PP Pizoria, inspector, RPF.

Around 6.30 pm, RPF dropped Shahida and the baby back at Mahipatram Rupram Ashram. She then left the place along with Master and Fatima .

“Pari is my daughter Rukaiya. I cannot tell you how happy I am to see her. I am leaving for Mumbai tonight to get more documents. I will return after the cops receive the FSL report. I am told it will take nearly five days,” said Shahida.

She added, “Allah is great. I am sure I will get her custody soon. I will do all it takes to ensure she grows up to be a fiercely independent woman.”

HOW IS DNA TEST CONDUCTED?A person’s DNA profile is made up of a number of genetic markers, which are specific sequences of DNA at particular locations that scientists have determined to be useful as identifying marks for individuals. Every person has two copies of these markers; one set is inherited from the mother, and the other set is inherited from the father.In our cells, DNA is found either in the nucleus (nuclear DNA) or in the mitochondria (mitochondrial DNA). Mitochondrial DNA is inherited solely from the mother. Every child (male or female) has an exact copy of his/her mother’s mitochondrial DNA. Proving a relationship based on comparison of the mitochondrial genome (order of genes) is much easier than that based on the nuclear genome, which involves detecting specific sequences in DNA. If the tested parent and child are biologically related, their profiles will have at least a 50 per cent similarity. If an alleged parent’s profile shows three or more DNA markers that do not match the child’s markers, then that person is excluded as the biological parent of the child.
(With inputs from Vipul Rajput)